With all the talk of Swine Flu swirling about, I thought it was a good day for a lesson about germs.
Materials needed: lotion, glitter, paper towels, soap, sink
Put a pinch of glitter (germs) on child's hand and have her make a fist and then press both hands together. Explain how easy it is to spread our germs (after sneezing, for instance).
Have children shake hands - again to illustrate how easy it is to pass germs. If your child accidentally wipes her eyes, nose or mouth DON'T stop her. This is a good way to illustrate how easily the germs can get into our bodies.
After a few shakes, have the child look at all the new germs on her hands!
Let her try wiping the germs off with a paper towel. Notice how difficult it is to get the germs off and how the germs don't "disappear" once they are wiped onto the towel.
Now have the child wash her hands with soap and water. Discuss how EASILY the germs are cleaned off the hands.









6 comments:
Great lesson!
What a great way to teach about germs! I'll have to keep this idea on hand for the future. (Do you happen to have an RSS feed set up for your blog at all? I'd love to follow it via Bloglines.)
That's neat, I think we'll have to try that!! :)
this is also a great way to explain why we have to use soap and water to remove food particles for croww-contamination purposes - if you ever need to do that sort of thing.
ooooh! That is a good one Pam!!!
That is such a great lesson! I am going to try that one today! Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment